Last updated on
Choosing the right sprung top divan base for your mattress is crucial because it significantly influences your sleep quality, comfort levels, and the lifespan of your mattress.
Choosing the right sprung top divan base for your mattress might seem like quite a task, but it doesn’t have to be.
With a keen eye on key factors such as type and size of your mattress, room size, desired bed height, and your personal comfort preferences, the task becomes significantly easier and almost stress-free.
From understanding the suitability of sprung top divan bases to learning how to match your mattress with the right base, we will explore every aspect comprehensively.
This way, you’ll not only make the most informed decision, but also pave your way to countless nights of refreshing sleep.
Rest assured, all necessary details will be covered here, so let’s dive right in.
- Sprung divan bases provide additional support and comfort for better sleep quality.
- There are two main types of divan bases: platform top and sprung edge.
- Sprung divan bases offer a softer sleeping surface compared to platform tops.
- They are compatible with a wide range of mattress types, including pocket sprung, innerspring, memory foam, latex, and hybrid mattresses.
- To choose the right sprung divan base, measure your space, consider storage options, assess lifespan, and budget appropriately.
Table of Contents
What Is a Divan Base?
Traditionally, a divan base is a wooden box frame on wheels or legs. Its functionality and convenience make it a popular choice for supporting mattresses.
Divan bases are advantageous for their sturdy build, providing a firm foundation that helps to prevent mattress sagging and increase the lifespan of your mattress. Additionally, they often come with built-in storage space, offering an excellent solution for smaller rooms where space may be at a premium.
With a variety of styles and finishes available, these bases can blend seamlessly into your bedroom decor while providing the necessary support for a good night’s sleep. The divan base you choose can depend on your personal comfort preferences, the type of mattress you have, and the aesthetic you want for your bedroom.
Types of Divan Bases: Platform Top and Sprung Edge
Moving on to the two key types, the first option is the platform top. It’s known for its solid and firm base, creating a supportive surface for any mattress. The platform top resists sagging and can lengthen the lifespan of your mattress through its staunch rigidity.
On the other hand, the sprung divan base features a layer of springs covering the top. These springs offer an extra level of give and comfort. They act as a shock absorber minimizing strain on your mattress, which also boosts its longevity. This type of base can soften the feel of a firm mattress, making it an excellent choice for those who prefer a softer sleeping surface.
Make sure you’re weighing these differences while considering your comfort preferences, the type of mattress you own, and the desired lifespan of your setup. Whatever type of base you choose, it should complement and enhance your mattress’ performance.
The Difference Between a Sprung and Platform Top Divan Base
Sprung edge divan bases have a layer of springs mounted on the frame that contributes towards a softer feel. The springs are designed to provide added support to the mattress, reducing strain and prolonging its lifespan.
On the other hand, a platform top divan base has a solid, non-spring-mounted top. It’s typically made from hard wooden panels, offering a firmer feel.
Here are a few quick points to illustrate the differences:
- 1. Firmness: Platform tops are generally firmer, while sprung edges have a softer feel due to the layer of springs.
- 2. Support: A sprung edge base provides better shock absorption, while a platform base might lead to a mattress feeling slightly harder.
- 3. Compatibility: While most mattresses can fit both types, a sprung edge base can better complement spring mattresses by enhancing their comfort.
- 4. Cost: Sprung edge bases are usually more expensive due to added complexity and materials.
- 5. Lifespan: Provided they are properly cared for, sprung edge bases tend to last longer by reducing wear and tear on the mattress.
Benefits of a Sprung Top Divan Base
Equipped with an additional layer of springs, these bases boost overall comfort levels by adding an extra bounce. They deliver a softer feel as compared to their platform top counterparts, cushioning your mattress and reducing the initial impact as you lie down.
They help in prolonging the lifespan of your mattress. The adaptable surface evenly distributes weight, reducing the strain on mattress springs, thus delaying mattress sagging.
The edge-to-edge support offered by these bases ensures no roll-off or roll-together issues, guaranteeing an undisturbed sleep even if you share your bed.
They offer better airflow than platform base divans due to the design, keeping your mattress fresher and helping it retain its properties for longer.
Tailored with a luxurious feel, these divan bases are usually of higher quality, adding a touch of elegance to your bedroom decor, indicating a good balance of aesthetics and functionality.
Is a Sprung Divan Base Better Than Other Base Types?
While a definitive answer largely depends on personal preference, sprung divan bases offer a range of advantages that might make them a more suitable choice for certain individuals. They incorporate springs in their structure which offers an additional layer of support and comfort over their platform counterparts. This leads to an improved sleep experience as the mattress and base act together to distribute body weight more evenly, relieving pressure points.
It’s noteworthy that while other base types like platform top divan base, or bedstead with wooden slats may seem more rigid, this extra firmness can sometimes come at the cost of comfort. In contrast, a sprung base is designed to align with your body contours, ensuring a less rigid, more comfortable sleeping surface.
Furthermore, sprung divan bases tend to be more robust, which greatly contributes to their longevity. This resilience can make them a cost-effective choice in the long run if considered an investment piece. However, keep in mind, the mattress plays an integral role as well and pairing the right mattress with the base is essential to enjoy its full benefits. Don’t forget to assess your specific sleeping preferences before making a final decision.
Mattress Types Suitable for a Sprung Divan Base
Considering compatibility, a range of mattress types can pair well with a sprung top divan base.
1. Pocket Sprung Mattresses: The individual springs within the mattress operate independently from each other, which complements the spring system of the divan base, providing exceptional comfort and support.
2. Innerspring Mattresses: With high levels of firmness, these mattresses can work harmoniously with the softness of a sprung top divan base, ensuring a balanced sleeping surface.
3. Memory Foam Mattresses: Able to adapt to your body shape, these mattresses deliver pressure relief when used atop a sprung divan base, as the base adds an extra bounce that enhances comfort.
4. Latex Mattresses: Known for resilience and longevity, these mattresses also provide the perfect firmness, which when paired with a sprung divan base, allow for an elevated sleeping experience.
5. Hybrid Mattresses: Incorporating different materials, such as innerspring and memory foam, these mattresses can easily adapt to the dynamic spring system of a sprung divan base, creating the perfect blend of support and comfort.
Choosing the right type involves personal preference and individual sleeping requirements. It’s essential to always check with the manufacturer or retailer to confirm compatibility between your chosen mattress and divan base. This helps to ensure optimal performance and longevity of your bed.
Pocket Sprung Traditional Mattresses Vs. Latex/Memory Foam Mattresses
Traditional pocket sprung mattresses, as the name suggests, are constructed with individual pocket springs encapsulated in fabric. These springs work independently, providing tailored support by responding to each person’s weight and shape. Their unique design reduces partner disturbance, making them an excellent choice for couples.
On the other hand, latex and memory foam mattresses offer a different sleep experience. These mattresses mould to the body’s contours, providing pressure point relief and excellent support for the spine. The denser material of these mattresses not only makes them more durable but also naturally hypoallergenic and resistant to dust mites, thus ensuring a healthy sleep environment.
While pocket sprung mattresses promote airflow and provide a cooler sleep, their latex and memory foam counterparts retain heat, which could be a blessing in colder climates or a bane in warmer ones.
Ultimately, the choice comes down to personal preference in comfort and the type of support required.
Can You Pair Any Mattress With a Sprung Divan Base?
Delving into the compatibility between mattresses and sprung divan bases, it’s essential to note that not all mattresses may be the perfect fit. While the flexible, cushioned nature of sprung divan bases makes them versatile, mattress choice still matters.
1. Traditional pocket sprung mattresses are highly compatible. Their independent spring movement meshes well with the base’s flexible design, serving excellent body support.
2. Memory foam or latex mattresses can also pair conveniently with sprung divan bases. However, their firmness level, thickness, and weight may impact comfort and lifespan.
3. Take heed with heavy mattresses. A very hefty mattress can strain your divan base over time, leading to potential damage.
4. Size matters. Ensure your mattress and base dimensions match perfectly for optimum comfort and stability.
While sprung divan bases are adaptable, weighing your mattress type, firmness, weight, and size against the base’s characteristics is pivotal to achieve the perfect pairing.
Measuring the Space for a Sprung Divan Base
To ensure a proper fit for your divan base, begin with an accurate measurement of the room. Not only should you take the dimensions of the entire room, but also measure the area where the bed will sit. You’ll need to consider the width, length, and depth of the space. Keep in mind the available space on either side of the bed and at the end, especially if you’re planning to add side tables or footrests.
Always remember to leave space for your path around the bed for free and safe movement. Once you have these measurements, you can compare them to standard divan base sizes to choose the right fit.
Make sure you also measure the height of your windows if the base is set to sit under one; the last thing you want is to block natural light. Additionally, it’s important to measure your bedroom’s doorways and staircases to confirm the base can fit through during delivery. Drafting a simple floor plan can be useful for visualizing the placement and space navigation with a new divan base.
Understanding the Correct Size for a Sprung Divan Base
When determining the size, first look at your mattress dimensions. The base should align closely with these measurements to ensure a good aesthetic and avoid structural issues. Typical sizes range from single (90cm x 190cm), double (135cm x 190cm), king (150cm x 200cm) to super-king (180cm x 200cm), though variations do exist.
Secondly, consider the available room space. While ample walking space around the bed enhances functionality, a base too small might appear awkward and disproportionate to the room size. Taking the furniture layout into account is crucial to ensure the base complements rather than disrupts.
Lastly, think about who will use the bed and how. Larger bases provide more sleeping space, fitting for couples or individuals seeking luxurious comfort. Smaller bases might suffice for children or single adults, offering potential savings. Your personal comfort and needs should guide the final choice.
Storage Options Available With Sprung Divan Bases
Sprung divan bases provide multiple storage options to maximize room space. Some models come with built-in drawers, perfect for stashing away items like extra bedding or seasonal clothing. For easy access, these drawers can be placed on either side of the base.
Another option is the ottoman style, featuring a lift-up system. This design offers ample space, using the entire underside of the mattress for storage. Ideal for smaller bedrooms, it conceals clutter while keeping belongings within reach.
For those not needing additional storage, non-storage sprung divan bases are also available. With these, you can maintain a minimalistic and streamlined look.
Remember, the choice between these options should factor in your space limitations, the quantity of possessions you intend to store, and the ease of access you prefer. You also need to consider your physical strength as the ottoman style requires some effort to lift.
Can You Put a New Mattress On an Old Sprung Divan Base?
Yes, it’s entirely possible to place a new mattress on an existing sprung divan base, but certain factors related to durability and support should be considered to make sure it’s the best option.
Firstly, evaluate the condition of your current base. If it’s thoroughly worn out, sagging in the center, or the springs are no longer functioning optimally, it may impact the comfort and lifespan of your new mattress.
Secondly, consider the compatibility between your old base and new mattress. While sprung divan bases generally pair well with most mattress types, it’s wisest to check with your mattress manufacturer or retailer for specific advice.
Lastly, if your old base still has a few good years of use left and matches well with your new mattress, you’ll be on your way to comfortable and quality sleep nights. But don’t forget to assess these factors every few years to ensure ongoing optimal mattress performance.
The Lifespan of Sprung Divan Bases
Most Sprung Divan Bases boast of longevity exceeding many alternatives, served by the robust quality of materials typically used in their construction. Their durability largely depends on usage and care, often lasting between 7-10 years before showing signs of wear and tear.
Nevertheless, if experiencing sagging or discomfort, it could indicate that the springs are deteriorating. Moreover, a persistent squeaky noise may mean that the springs are worn out, signaling the need for a replacement.
To prolong the lifespan, users are advised to rotate the base regularly, similar to a mattress. This helps evenly distribute the weight and reduces the risk of sagging or damage.
Human factors can also influence longevity. For instance, a base accommodating a single sleeper may last longer than a unit used by a couple.
Investing in a good-quality Mattress Protector can also safeguard the base from spillages and stains, contributing to a longer lifespan.
Keep in mind that just like a mattress, a divan base is subject to general wear and will eventually need replacing. Always stay attentive to any change in sleeping comfort, as it could indicate that a replacement is necessary.
Potential Issues: Fixing a Squeaky Sprung Divan Base
A squeaky sprung divan base can disrupt a peaceful sleep. This annoyance can surface due to loosening of coil springs, wear and tear of fabric, or damaged connectors.
1. Tightening the Connectors: Make use of an appropriate screwdriver to secure any loose screws in the base. Ensure not to overtighten, as it might strip the screw threads.
2. Lubricating Springs: Apply a non-greasy household lubricant (like WD-40) to quieten noisy springs. Always use a cloth to prevent overspray onto your carpet or flooring.
3. Replacing the Spring: If the squeak persists, you might need to replace the problematic spring. Contact a furniture repair service to do this, especially if the divan is still under warranty.
4. Adding Padding: Temporarily, you can stick felt or rubber padding to the potential squeak source. However, this might not be a long-term solution.
Remember, if these methods don’t remedy the squeak, it could be a sign that your divan base has reached the end of its lifespan and may need replacing.
Important Tips Before Purchasing a Sprung Top Divan Base
1. Measure Your Space: Make sure you have enough room for the base. Consider the width, length, and height of the space where you will place the divan base.
2. Understand Your Mattress Needs: The kind of mattress you have or plan to buy will influence the base you’ll need. Heavy mattresses often require a sturdy base while lighter ones may be paired with a base that offers more flexibility.
3. Consider Storage Options: Some sprung divan bases come with built-in drawers or slide storage. If you’re tight on space, such features can be highly beneficial.
4. Assess Lifespan: A good divan base should last between 7-10 years. Check the manufacturer’s warranty and read customer reviews to gauge the product’s durability.
5. Budget Considerations: Divan bases can range in price. While it might be tempting to opt for the cheapest option, remember that a good base is a long-term investment. Consider its durability, comfort, and suitability for your mattress.
The Cost of Sprung Divan Bases: Are They Expensive?
While prices can vary, these bases are typically more expensive than other types due to the additional comfort and support they provide. However, when considering cost, it’s important to consider the value they offer in terms of their longevity and the improved quality of sleep they can yield.
1. Value for Money: Despite a higher initial investment, the enhanced lifespan of the sprung divan base often means you’ll benefit from significant savings in the long term.
2. Premium Quality: Their cost is reflective of their higher-end material, construction quality, and the outstanding comfort they provide.
3. Warranty: Some manufacturers offer warranties on their bases, providing an added layer of financial protection.
4. Price Range: Depending on the size, material, design, and brand, sprung divan bases can range from budget-friendly options to more expensive luxury models.
While cheaper alternatives are tempting, remember the golden rule – you spend a third of your life sleeping, so it’s worth investing in a base that provides comfort, durability, and support. Choose wisely; your sleep health deserves it.
Does a sprung divan base make a difference?
Yes, a sprung divan base makes a difference as it enhances the springiness of a sprung mattress and the squishiness of a memory foam mattress.
Can any mattress go on a sprung base?
Yes, any mattress can be used on a sprung base, although softer mattresses are typically more suitable due to the base potentially decreasing the firmness of the sleep surface.
What type of divan base is best?
The best type of divan base is the sprung edge base, specifically with pocket springs, due to its high-quality construction and responsive characteristics, although it is more expensive.
How do you maintain the quality of a sprung top divan base in the long run?
To maintain the quality of a sprung top divan base in the long run, regularly vacuum it to remove dust and avoid placing very heavy items on it to prevent sagging.
What are the distinctive advantages of a sprung top divan base over other types of bases?
A sprung top divan base offers superior comfort and support compared to other bases due to its additional layer of springs that respond to body weight and movement.
How does a sprung divan base impact overall sleep quality?
A sprung divan base enhances overall sleep quality by providing additional support and comfort, reducing pressure on the joints and improving spinal alignment.
You may also like to read: